Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Mail Delivery: Senseo Coffee Machine



The USPS pulled up and delivered a package for me about half an hour ago. Inside the box was a free Senseo coffee machine that I got directly from Philips. I figured since they were kind enough to send it to me with a package full of the little coffee pods that I'd go ahead and give it a try. It's quite a bit bigger than I imagined it would be, since I've never seen one before at the store.

They sent the medium roast coffee pods, and using a large mug (to fill it I either had to press the double cup button once and the single cup button once; or the single cup button 3 times) it made a pretty decent cup of coffee that's just a tad on the weak side. A single medium-roast pod using the double-cup button makes it just about the right strength, though I would prefer a darker roast, which will be what I buy at the store.

I figured it'll cost a tad more per cup than bulk drip coffee and filters, about 2.5 to 3 cents per cup depending on where you buy the pods, whereas regular drip coffee and filters equals out to around 7 cents for a whole pot. Still a heck of a lot cheaper than a buck for a cup of truck-stop coffee at the Flying-J, or that pseudo-hippie left-wing nuevo-riche Starpukes joint where you pay about 7 bucks for two swallows of hot water that tastes like they might have dragged a coffee bean through it.

Anyways, the Senseo critter seems like a good idea for the time being. Single servings of fresh-brewed coffee on demand, hardly any waiting. Auto-shutoff so you don't burn down your house. But not sure I'd be willing to pay retail for the machine itself, I'm a bit of a cheapskate and $60 to $75 retail for one of those critters seems kind of steep to me, especially when I can get drip machine at Big-Lots for about $10+tax.