Thursday, October 12, 2006

Magellan MAP 330 GPS

I've got a Magellan GPS unit, called the MAP 330. Well, according to Magellan's website it's an old product or as they call it, a "Legacy" item. Huh? The thing is only 5 years old! To me that's practically still brand-spanking-new. All my other electronic products are between 5 and 25 years old and still supported by the manufacturers for parts and repairs, firmware upgrades, etc.

Anyways, I contacted their technical service dept. because when I registered my Magellan MAP 330 GPS unit but they never notified me of any firmware updates being made available. Well, there were several updates made available by them, including a nice firmware upgrade that allows searching by address from the GPS unit itself instead of just the mapping program, which could be very handy at times.

Lo and behold, I never found out about these updates until just about a week ago. I checked their website and they don't offer the firmware upgrade download on their site anymore. So I sent their technical service dept. a request on how to get the update via their online contact form. So far it's been a week and still no response from them. I'm not impressed with their lack of prompt response times. I'll give them another week and see what happens, and nothing happens I'll see if I can find a toll-free number and call them to see why they haven't responded to my online submission via their website. Still, I have a hunch if I were inquiring about a brand-new $500 GPS unit they'd have already contacted me.

Yes, my product is out of warranty, but it's a downloadable software update we're talking about here. Heck, I've had other companies send me free replacement parts for products I own that were 10 years or more out of warranty. I guess we'll wait and see what happens, but if I can't get a decent response from them, and ever decide to buy another GPS unit, you can bet it won't be a Magellan. I wonder how efficient Garmin's technical service dept. is?

And no the MAP 330 isn't WAAS enabled, but I don't need that level of precision anyhow; and I still know my way around a map and compass too, for all you traditionalists out there.