Friday, October 13, 2006

Pyrodex Dilemma

I just got back home from taking a trip into town earlier to try and find some muzzleloading supplies. I came home rather disappointed though. I walk into the gun shop and ask the proprietor of that there establishment if he's got blackpowder and/or substitutes in 1 lb. cans, and where the other muzzleloading supplies are hidden at. He says he's got a large selection of stuff at the back of the store, and that he's got everything as far as blackpowder goes except for Goex. I thought to myself that this was fine, a one stop shop for all I needed. Wrong.

I looked around for all the stuff I'd need and all he had was CVA and Traditions brand stuff priced sky high. No Knight, Hornady, T/C, Barnes, Nosler, etc. He wanted $8.99 for 5 oz. of CVA bore lube, $12.99 for 4 or 5 oz. of CVA blackpowder solvent, and $19.99 for 20 powerbelt bullets. That seemed excessively expensive to me for some strange reason, and I was wanting Hornady 410 gr. Great Plains conicals or 300 gr. XTP Mag sabots, which I know I can get in packages of 20 or 30 for less than this guy's 20 Powerbelts. Heck, he even wanted $4.99 for a bronze .50 cal bore brush.

I decided to pass on the stuff he had and just get some Pyrodex RS while I was there. He said he didn't have that, nor did he have any Pioneer, Black Magic, Elephant, nor other brands; all he had was Jim Shockey Gold for $25.99 lb., and Hodgdon Triple Se7en for $24.99 lb., despite his telling me had everything except Goex, so I said no thanks and went to Wally-World which I loathe going to.

Wally-World ended up being a joke for front-stuffer stuff too. They had a section about 2 ft wide and 3 ft high on the shelves dedicated to muzzleloading stuff, mostly patches and ramrod accessories. The powders they had to choose from was 1 lb. of Triple Se7en for $25.49 or 1 lb. of Pyrodex FFg RS for $16.69. They had next to nothing for conicals or sabots, so I came home empty handed except for a pound of Pyrodex RS which came to $17.86 after tax. I feel ripped-off. Seems to me that Pyrodex RS was selling for about $10 or $12 per pound a few years ago. I know I can still get it that cheap online, but there's a $20 Haz-Mat shipping fee they tack on, which I figure isn't worth it unless I'm buying in bulk, which I can't afford to do right now.

The rest of the supplies I'll order online at Midway USA or Midsouth Shooters Supply, where the selection of stuff is far more broad, and much cheaper. I believe in supporting the local community businesses first, but not when they try and take you for as much as they can while trying to make it sound like you're getting a good deal.

Am I being unrealistic with my expectations?