Friday, August 18, 2006

Guitar Effects Pedals

Lately I've been thinking about getting a few effects pedals to go with my amp. Maybe the new sounds available will give me the inspiration I need to regain some creativity. I'm looking real close at the Line 6 series of effects pedals, they seem to be a few notches above the BOSS stomp-boxes for quality and adjustability.

I'll start out with the meat and potatoes of effects, a chorus pedal, and see where it goes from there. Later on I'll probably try and add in a compressor and an echo/delay box. That ought to give me plenty of gizmos to play with to find a unique sound. I'm looking to keep it clean, or mostly clean with a nice blues or jazz sound to it, nothing wildly overdriven or cheesy sounding. I don't want to get the crappy distortion pedals all these metal heads live on, besides, I can do that already if need be with just my all-tube amp, trust me on this one. But when I play, I like to actually hear the chords I play. Yes, teenage head-bangers, you can actually play notes and chords with a guitar, not just make obnoxious noise. There's more to life than taking a nice musical instrument and making it sound like garbage. The idea here is to enhance the sound of your instrument, not hide your inability to play behind tons of distortion and squealing.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.