Thursday, August 31, 2006

Should States seize guns amidst a crisis?

Think about that for a moment. If in a state of emergency { i.e. New Orleans } Should the government seize your guns? I don't think so. If the governor of New Orleans had not done so, the law abiding citizens could have protected themselves from all the looting, rapes, killings, and the robberies. That's why I am glad that earlier this year, Oklahoma had passed House Bill 2696. It protects the Second Amendment for those of us that are gun owners. We all have read or heard on the news, on how violence and chaos erupted right after Hurricane Katrina. The authorities there started collecting guns and weapons because " it was too difficult telling law abiding citizens from the criminals." I think I can tell you the difference. The looters that were looting items that would not help you survive. I truly feel sorry for those people. Having to steal food in order to survive is one thing. I would have let those people go. But, those that were taking televisions, beer, and the such, would have been arrested. The law abiding citizens were protecting what they had left. The criminals were trying to take it all away. There were not enough police officers to handle all the 911 calls that were coming through. Now I ask you this: If there were not enough police, then why take the guns from the law abiding citizens. In that situation, would you not rather to have people to be able to protect themselves? I can hear you now. "There are other ways to protect yourself". O.K. How about this analogy: Taking a knife to a gun fight. How would you protect yourself if you were held at gunpoint with anything other than a gun? I hear you too: with martial arts! As someone who studied martial arts for several years, that MIGHT work if: 1. You could catch your opponent off guard. 2. You were close enough to take action. Even at one foot out of reach he still has the advantage. I would rather protect myself with a firearm and make the odds a little better. I believe in the old saying, "When you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns." If that were to happen, (and I pray that it doesn't) I may have to become an outlaw. I love the saying, " You can have my guns when you pry them from my cold dead fingers." I will always be a gun owner to be able to provide for and protect my family. I do not want the criminal element to have the upper hand. "Give a man a steak, feed him for a meal. Teach a man to hunt, feed him for a lifetime". Since Katrina, the NAACP claims that House Bill 2696 opens the way for discrimination. That may be right, but it only discriminates against the CRIMINAL. Not the law abiding citizens of this great country. According to the Second Amendment Foundation, at least 10 states have adopted this law. (now we only have 40 more to go!) And as far as the statements; "We have a very difficult time telling the law abiding citizens and the criminals", I have a solution: I urge, no I implore you to get your CCW license A.S.A.P., even if you don't ever plan to carry. The reason is that CRIMINALS CAN NOT GET ONE!!!! I believe that in a state of emergency, the police need all the help they can get from law abiding citizens. They can't be everywhere at once.

I leave you with a final thought: If criminals won't give up their guns, Why should we?